Alston station seen here with major work
in progress, building an overall roof.
The railway has been very fortunate in receiving HLF grants to upgrade
the station - has a great cafe now!
Looking north from the buffer stops.
The locomotive for today was diesel
mechanical locomotive No 9 built in 1952 by the Hunslet Engine Company
It is a flameproof underground mine locomotive for the National
Coal Board and used in the Seaham area.
The end of the present run seen here at
Lintley Halt, where the loco runs round for return to Alston.
The extension to Slaggyford was just weeks away from being opened - need
to return later!
The guard signals to the driver that he
is clear of the points as loco runs round.
Returning to couple up to train.
View from the balcony end of first
carriage on return journey.
Kirkhaugh station with inset giving details of reopening.
The railway has a first class workshop at
Alston complete with lift to mezzanine viewing floor.
The 12.15 service seen passing the
workshops just after leaving Alston.
The railway follows the South Tyne Trail
with the river in view here.
Peckett 0-6-0ST 'Harrogate', was on loan
to the South Tynedale Railway. Seen here at loco shed.
It was then hauled by a battery electric
locomotive to the workshop.
'Harrogate' is an 0-6-0ST built
for the Harrogate Gas Works Railway where a limited clearance tunnel
meant the loco was built
with a low profile cab. It normally resides at the Statfold Barn