Glen Tramway, West Yorkshire.
The museum building at Bottom Station displays photos and memorabilia of the
which is Britains oldest cable operated tramway, opened to the
public on May 18th 1895.
A replica of an original tramcar stands
outside the museum.
A car arrives at Bottom Station.
The Tramway has a gauge of 20" and there
are two tracks with a tramcar on each line.
The Tramway was originally powered by a Suction Gas Engine, then Town
Gas followed by Oil in 1915,
before being converted to electricity in 1928
The second tramcar arriving at Bottom
As can be seen one car has a roof whilst
the second is completely open.
The maximum gradient is 1 in 7. This is a
view from an uphill tramcar passing the empty descending car.
A view of the car after arrival at Top
Looking towards Top Station building with
the motorman in his cabin.
Visit Shipley Glen Tramway Website