Great Laxey Mine Railway
The Great Laxey Mine Railway offers
visitors a glimpse into the Islands industrial past. Using two replicas
of the original locos (built 1877) trains run on the 0.25 mile long 19in
gauge line from Valley Gardens to Mine Yard station.
The replica loco "Ant" built in 2004 by
Great Northern Steam stands at Valley Gardens awaiting passengers.
Carriage No 1 was built by Alan Keef in
2004. The single carriage train has seating on one side only due to
"Ant" leaving the station with driver
standing up. The small seat is used on return.
The train enters the only remaining
tunnel on the IOM. This goes under the A2 Douglas to Ramsey road and the
Disappearing into the tunnel with clouds
Mine Yard station. The line originally
continued for another 1.5 miles into the Great Laxey Mine, a mine very
rich in lead.
The second replica loco "Bee" stands at
the loco shed raising steam, whilst the shed volunteers have a tea
"Bee" was also built in 2004 by Great
In the workshop stands "Wasp" the lines
battery electric locomotive.
The train returns to Valley Gardens. The
point leads to the loco & carriage sheds.
"Bee" brings the second train, using
coach no 2, towards Mines Yard station. The 6 replica ore wagons were
in 2000 by the Laxey Blacksmith, and are often demonstrated on trains.
"Bee" departs Mines Yard station.
"Bee" on the outward journey with
"Ant" on the other train return to Valley
Gardens. Not sure how comfortable the seat must be!