The Corris Railway was the first narrow gauge railway to be built in Mid-Wales and used an unusual gauge of
2ft 3ins. It closed in 1948 and the surviving locomotives went to the nearby Talyllyn Railway which had
the same gauge.
The Corris Railway Society was formed in the 1970 with the intention of establishing a museum dedicated to the
Corris Railway. After many years of hard work and rebuilding of the line from Corris to Maespoeth the line reopened
to passengers on 3rd June 2002.
As the original locomotives now belonged to the Talyllyn Railway other locos were needed. No 7 seen here at Corris station is a
2005 built replica of the original No 4 incorporating improvements made by the Talyllyn to their original engine since 1951.
No 7 seen here at Maespoeth, the limit of present operations. Passengers detrain here and can enjoy a very informative
guided tour of the original engine shed (right) and the new build carriage shed (left).
The view southwards from Maespoeth, complete with new signalbox, showing the line disappearing to the left behind the
carriage shed. The railway is actively progressing an extension of the running line here.
No 7 takes water in the platform from the supply on the side of the shed.
The inside of the loco shed which includes pits and maintainance facilities.
The interior of the new carriage shed with a new boiler for the next loco build, a new coach in progress and on
the right a rake of vintage goods vehicles.
Almost time to leave Maespoeth. The stock is propelled back to Corris - the guard occupies a position in rear coach.
Having returned to Corris the passengers leave the train.
The 12.00 departure seen just after leaving Corris station...
..in a typical Welsh slate country setting. A very nice friendly railway!
The Corris Railway website www.corris.co.uk